Facilitation tools & techniques
"Coming together is a beginning, keeping together is progress, and working together is success." - Henry Ford"I don't believe in just ordering people to do things. You have to sort of grab an oar and row with them". - Harold Geneen
Facilitation can play an important role in ensuring a well-run meeting or engagement process. Useful facilitation skills include planning agendas, creating the appropriate group environment, encouraging participation, and leading the group to reach its objectives. Of course facilitation can also be used at the organisation, project or comunity level.
- Good articles if you are new to facilitation include: Facilitation 101 by Ned Ruete, and Magic of the Facilitator by Brian Stanfield.
- IIFAC The facilitation page of the International Institute for Facilitation and Change. Includes Bonfire - a free monthly electronic publication providing facilitation news, tips and thoughts.
- Co-Creative Power This blog from Myriam Laberge looks to support the ability of members of a community to act collectively to address common issues, needs and goals. It provides a wealth of valuable tips for facilitators wanting ideas for managing meetings, forums and other collective initiatives.
- Facilitation resources This page from EBG Consulting provides a wide range of on-line resources. These include sections on: facilitation methods & influences; facilitation tips and activities; tools for working on walls; and tools for capturing wall work.
- Facilitation techniques A useful list of resources from the Impact Alliance who are a global action network committed to strengthening the capacity of individuals and organizations to generate deep impact within the communities they serve. We do this through assisting our members to improve the quality, scale and social impact of their services and programs.
- International Association of Facilitators' resource pages They provide useful services and links to facilitation-related tools and resources.
- Video conferencing Holding meetings online can be cost-effective, and is becoming more commonplace. Now, anyone with a broadband Internet connection and a browser can log onto the Internet and take part in or host a web conference, a web and video conference or a webinar. MegaMeeting offers a range of video conferencing services suited to individuals through to a full branded service for large organisations.
- Online Community Toolkit Thinking about building or hosting an online community? Looking for specific tips, tools and ideas? Start here with this toolkit developed and maintained by Nancy White. This resource covers facilitation techniques, on-line tools, courses and case studies.
- A collection of resources to help you learn more about online collaboration A useful list of resources from facilitate.com
Other tips and guides
- Cleaning Digital Photos of Drawings
One of the big hits from the IFVP 2006 Conference was the Tech Session. There was quite a buzz about the Photoshop demonstration on "cleaning" photos of graphic recording artwork. The instructions are posted here from the Center for Graphic Facilitation site.
- Hacking Knowledge: 77 Ways to Learn Faster, Deeper, and Better Life-changing knowledge does typically require advanced learning techniques. In fact, it's been said that the average adult only uses 10% of his/her brain. Imagine what we may be capable of with more advanced learning techniques. Here are 77 tips related to knowledge and learning to help you on your quest. A few are specifically for students in traditional learning institutions; the rest for self-starters, or those learning on their own. Happy learning.